In order to be eligible to submit for the Allan Slaight JUNO Master Class, artists must meet ALL of the following criteria:
All artists must be Canadian citizens. Proof of citizenship may be requested and failure to provide proof by deadline may result in disqualification.Canadian is defined by CARAS to be:
- 50% or more of group members hold Canadian birth certificates, passports or are Canadian Landed Immigrant(s) with residency in Canada during the last six months of the eligibility period;
- The group is deemed by CARAS, in its sole discretion, to be Canadian as a result of:
- the Canadian member(s) receiving the majority of royalties, touring profits and other proceeds earned by the group; and
- the Canadian member(s) being the creative force behind the group and/or the principal songwriters for the group.
Artists must have released a minimum of two original singles within the eligibility period; EPs and albums are also eligible. Cover songs are not eligible. A release is considered available for national sale or for streaming online.
Original material is defined by CARAS as:
New material with melody and lyrics that have never been previously recorded. It is the submitter's express responsibility to ensure that all submitted songs are original recordings and not encumbered by master rights owners, music publishers, and any other third parties that have rights in such materials. CARAS reserves the right to require written confirmation that the songs are original recordings. CARAS reserves the right to disqualify submissions should CARAS determine, in its sole discretion, that these rights have been infringed.
ELIGIBILITY PERIOD/RELEASE DATE
- Eligibility period is between January 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017.
- Product must be released for national sale (in stores or online) or be available for streaming online.
- “Release date” for eligibility purposes is defined as the date of first shipment to retail, the date of the first online transaction, or the iTunes/online retailer release date online. For songs available for streaming only, the release date is defined as the date the songs were made available for streaming online.
PREVIOUS JUNO NOMINATION
Eligible artists must not have been previously recognized as a JUNO Award nominee either as a solo artist or as part of a group even if this submission is a new solo project or band.
Eligible artists must NOT have sold more than 5,000 albums/EPs or 50,000 singles according to Nielsen SoundScan.
Artists must be 19 years of age or older on or before the program deadline (June 30, 2017) in order to be eligible. In the case of a band, all members must be 19 years of age or older.
Finalists must be available to travel to Toronto, ON for a maximum 7-day mentorship program taking place October 23 - 27, 2016 and to attend the JUNO Awards in Vancouver, BC from March 19 - 25, 2018.
CARAS ACADEMY DELEGATE ENDORSEMENT
Artists must have an active CARAS Academy Delegate endorse their submission.
- Artists must provide the name and email of the active Academy Delegate who has vouched for/endorsed the submission.
- CARAS will contact the Academy Delegate to confirm their endorsement. Submissions will be disqualified if not endorsed.